Tuesday, June 16, 2009

An interesting day at the mail box.

So, I was planning on making some of my posts that I'm behind on tonight after I take care of some things. But I was so excited about the mail, that I had to share this before I did anything else.

At first I was worried, because I saw two envelopes from some random lawyerly sounding place. I immediately jumped to worry and dread, because I'm a very nervous and high-strung person. I opened the first one and this is what it read...

    Dear Consumer:

    The Federal Trade Commission...filed a lawsuit against...(long list of names). The complaint charged that the defendants were billing consumers without authorization for alleged visits to websites. Consumers saw charges on their credit card bills under the names...(long list of names). The defendants bought access to lists from a bank that provided the account numbers for more than 3 million valid Visa and MasterCard credit cards. Rather than use the lists to confirm that potential customers had valid cards, the defendants debited the cards for web site services the cardholder had never used.

    The unauthorized charges were incurred by you many years ago, and you may no longer have the credit card that was charged. The enclosed check is your share of the funds collected.

    ...(more details that are irrelevant here).


At the bottom is attached a check for $27.68! And I got two identical letters! That's $55.36! And that's totally awesome. The sad thing is that I probably never noticed the unauthorized charges way back when. I had really bad habits, and even though I was scraping by to pay the minimums each month, I never took the time to look over statements too carefully. So now, I get a little extra money this month!

Unfortunately, this is canceled out by a third piece of mail. A statement from the city for 2008 taxes for $84.42. Luckily, the tax is based off of the value of your car, and I drive a piece of crap. So, the tax could be a LOT worse. And I have these mana from heaven checks to help offset the tax. So I'm only out $29.06 instead of the whole $84.42.

Plus, I got a late birthday present DVD from a friend, so it really was a banner day of mail today. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to some more posting tonight. I still did to do the "Where'd my money go?" and "History of My World Part III" posts. Fingers crossed that that actually happens tonight.

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome day in the mail! I've always been amazed by how money somehow appears from strange places where I need it the most. Like in September I had $13 for the entire month on the like the 15th, and the next day I got a check in the mail from my stepdad for $100 for my birthday (a month late - but PERFECT timing).

    ReplyDelete