Monday, July 20, 2009

A Brilliant Idea? (maybe not)

I was looking up the company that makes one of our instruments at work today, and this lead to some internest daydreaming. And this lead to my (probably not) brilliant idea.

I should get a job in London.

What? Work in the UK? "Hells yeah!" I thought. This isn't a fully thought through plan, or even really a plan at all. But now, it's a bee in my bonnet (not to put to fine a point on it).

Sure, there are universities in the US where I could get a professor job. But don't they need eccentric assistant professors of Chemistry/Biochemistry/Materials in the UK? This will, of course, require lots of thinking and some serious soul searching. But I'm not ready to jump on the job hunt bandwagon just yet. I have some job security (word from The Boss is that I'm not getting kicked out anytime soon), but I can't stay here forever. I do, however, need to publish two (hopefully three or four) more papers, finish up my work, and get my independent project started (I have a plan, and I'm 0.05% started already).

Now, I just have to decide...Los Angeles? or London? Hmmm. Either will be 4000% improvement over Connecticut.

4 comments:

  1. Any reason why LONDON specifically?

    Since my trip to Europe I have been thinking a lot about getting a position in Europe. But more as a post-doc for a few years than a full position. I don't know if I could handle living in another country indefinitely. But I would definitely like it for a temporary position and word out on the street is that post-docs in Europe are 2 years max. So that wouldn't be too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if there's a specific reason why London. I was looking at a website for a company base in suburban London, and they had job openings. Not that I wanted a job there, but it sparked me thinking about MY job future. I've never been to the UK. They speak English in London. It could be fun. I've already proven that I can survive moving somewhere far away where I don't know anyone at all.

    I don't know. I doubt that I'll even get to VISIT London, let alone work there. It's just something that I was fantasizing about today.

    I post doc in Europe would be great. But I don't think that my "career" could afford a 3rd post doc. I'm pretty sure that my next job needs to be at the asst. prof. level (or as your lab manager).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yah, I can see how you would be wary for a 3rd post-doc. I'm a bit scared of the idea of a third.

    Lemme tell you, seeing how different the lab environment was in Eindhoven when I was visiting made me really want to work there. It is so different, but it a good way. I really enjoyed it could see myself being really happy there. Especially if I managed to get myself a reasonable inexpensive apartment where I could travel every other weekend. I mean, train tickets aren't cheap for sure, but it is reasonable to go take a long weekend and visit France - which is really awesome to me.

    Really, I'd love to just be able to take a year off and roam around the world, but since that is nearly impossible at this point career-wise or financially, I just figure that a post-doc in Europe is the next best thing i right?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an excellent idea.

    Really, I just need to finish up here and see where things take me.

    Honestly, at this point my only limitation of where I'd like to work would be that it doesn't snow (or I'd NEVER have to drive in the snow).

    **sigh**

    I really wish that things had turned out differently.

    ReplyDelete